A ) REM sleep patterns are similar in all species.
B ) Sleep is a useful behavior.
C ) Everyone dreams.
D ) All vertebrates show sleep
E ) Mammals and birds show signs of REM sleep
22. L-DOPA is a standard treatment for
A ) epilepsy.
B ) stroke.
C ) obesity.
D ) Parkinson’s disease.
E ) anorexia nervosa.
23. Damage to which dopaminergic (DA) system would be expected to produce muscle tremors, limb rigidity, and difficulty in movement control
A ) nigrostriatal DA system
B ) hypothalamocortical DA system
C ) mesocortical DA system
D ) nesolimbic DA system
E ) corticospinal DA system
24. A person who is admitted to a hospital emergency room with an opiate overdose is likely to be treated with
A ) heroin.
B ) THC.
C ) naloxone
D ) mu opioid receptor agonists.
E ) kappa opioid receptor agonists.
25. Research studies indicate which neurotransmitter acts to facilitate learning?
A ) dopamine
B ) norepinephrine
C ) acetylcholine
D ) serotonin
E ) GABA
26. Based on the study of Patient H.M., it has been concluded that
A ) short-term memories are stored within the hippocampus.
B ) the hippocampus is required for retrieval of long-term memories.
C ) long-term memories are stored within the hippocampus.
D ) the hippocampus converts short-term memories into long-term memories.
E ) damage to the hippocampus results in severe retrograde amnesia.
27. Which of the following is true of learning?
A ) Learning and memory are synonymous.
B ) Memories are related to the electrical activity of the brain.
C ) Learning involves the modification of the nervous system by experiences.
D ) Experiences are stored in the brain in separate folders, like those of a filing cabinet.
E ) Learning is possible in the absence of memory.
28. The distinction between implicit (nondeclarative) and explicit (declarative) memories is that
A ) implicit memories are rapidly forgotten.
B ) explicit memories are unavailable to consciousness.
C ) we are unable to talk about implicit memories.
D ) hippocampal damage impairs implicit, but not explicit memory.
E ) patients with anterograde amnesia generally have problems with implicit memory
29. Verbal behavior is said to be a lateralized function of the left hemisphere in that
A ) most language problems are noted after damage to the right rather than the left hemisphere.
B ) most language problems are noted after damage to the left rather than the right hemisphere.
C ) right-handed persons are more likely to have their language center located within the right hemisphere.
D ) electrical stimulation of the left hemisphere has a smaller effect on language than does similar stimulation of the right hemisphere.
E ) most persons show a greater movement of the lips on the right side of their mouth during speech.
30. Imagine that you are suffering from overly intense emotional reactions that conventional therapies do not alleviate. Based on the evidence cited in your text, which brain region would be considered as a target for ablation to provide relief for your intense emotional reactions?
A ) central nucleus of the amygdala
B ) ventromedial hypothalamus
C ) medial nucleus of the amygdala
D ) corpus callosum
E ) the hypothalamic complex
Hi there! Click one of our representatives below and we will get back to you as soon as possible.