The global community is plagued by increasing incidence of lung cancer, colorectal cancer, breast cancer, pancreatic cancer, prostate cancer, leukemia, non-Hodgkin lymphoma, liver cancer, ovarian cancer, and esophageal cancer. Other types of cancer exist but are less frequent. What is the scientific community doing to attempt to eliminate the most common forms of cancer that are ravaging society?
1. Be certain that you have read your textbook’s chapter on cell division, specifically the last section on how cells become cancerous.This is context for completing this assignment.
2. Watch the presentation (found in the Reading & Study folder of Module/Week 4) entitled “Ways to Fight Cancer.” Notice that the presentation outlines essentially 3approaches to fighting cancer: a) reduction of cancer risks, b) correction of cancer genes, and c) destruction of cancerous tissue.
3. In the “Individual Assignment 3: 10 Discoveries in the War on Cancer” document is a set of 10 scientists’ discoveries. Scan the discoveries briefly. Then open the assignment submission link in Module/Week 4.In the text box, number from 1 to 10 for the 10 discoveries listed in the document.
4. Reflect carefully on the first discovery (#1). Would this discovery be more useful for (a) reducing cancer risks, (b) correcting/restoring cancer cells to normal, or (c) destroying cancerous tissue? After #1 in your list, place in parentheses the letter representing the approach to fighting cancer that will best be served by this new discovery.(More than one approach may be served, but which is most likely to be helped most significantly?)
5. Repeat this analysis for each of the remaining 9 discoveries. Return to the “Ways to Fight Cancer” presentation as needed for additional perspective. When finished, your entire text box must be simple: a numbered (1–10) list of letters a, b, or c.
6. Ten points are granted for each correct association, up to 6 correct. If you get any 6 correct out of 10, you get a perfect score (60 points) on the assignment.
Hi there! Click one of our representatives below and we will get back to you as soon as possible.