Essay Case Option 1 (the paediatric case) or
Essay Case Option 2 (the adult case).
Review your chosen case and the clinical documents. Using the clinical reasoning cycle you are required to assess, plan, implement and evaluate your care for the patient. After identifying the relevant assessment data you must identify two (2) priority problems for your patient. For each priority problem identified, list two (2) nursing interventions (collaborative/independent) linking to your research of the literature. Include a one to two line rationale for each intervention. Evaluation of your care is essential.
The 2200 word essay should cover the points below:
- Introduction (150 words approx): State an overview of the patient’s condition and identify the TWO priority nursing problems. Give a brief plan for the essay topics.
- For each of your identified priority problems (950 words approx): Briefly explain how it relates to the patient’s assessment data. You will need to draw on your understanding of pathophysiology to explain the link between the problem and the patient’s signs and symptoms. Identify TWO priority nursing interventions to address the problem. Justify the nursing interventions you will implement (explain what is involved in implementing the intervention, why it is suitable, any relevant positive or negative aspects/considerations) and support/justify the use of these interventions with reference to current evidence-based literature. Outline the evaluation criteria/data that would indicate that each intervention is improving or resolving the identified problem.
- Conclusion (150 words approx): Briefly restate the patient’s condition and problems and how the nursing interventions can benefit the patient’s health.
- You need to discuss at least one independent nursing intervention in your essay.
- For any collaborative nursing interventions you must discuss the nursing responsibilities and actions in relation to this collaborative intervention.
- Medications cannot be both of your chosen collaborative interventions for a problem. If a medication is one of your collaborative interventions you must identify an appropriate drug that is likely to be/or has been prescribed by the doctor. You must consider and discuss the nursing responsibilities associated with the medication (action, dose, side effects, prevention and management of same, administration requirements, evaluation).
• A minimum 20 references but be cited from valid, contemporary journal articles or books no older than 7 years.