Word Limit: 2000 words
The purpose of this essay is to enable you to critically evaluate current research about adverse events in the acute environment. You will examine nursing strategies that can be used to prevent adverse events in a hospital including the role of inter-professional practice in promoting patient safety.
This assessment item will address all three (3) learning outcomes for this course.
For this task you need to write a 2000-word essay.
- Choose ONE of the following preventable adverse events options that may occur whilst a patient is in hospital:
- Medications errors
- Clinical management – failure to act
- Hospital acquired infection
- Write a critical evaluation of current research about adverse events in the acute environment. Note that the term critically evaluate “sometimes called critically analyse or review means to show the essence of something by breaking it down into it is components parts, examining each part in detail and explaining issues…”. It also means making connections and seeing relationships between information. The term critically evaluate also implies to weigh up strengths and weaknesses and judge the worth of the argument or position
- Your essay MUST include the following components:
- An opening paragraph that identifies the aim of the assignment (including ONE chosen adverse event from the list below)
- A definition of an adverse event
- A discussion of the prevalence of your chosen adverse event in an Australian hospital setting
- An analysis of the identified topic’s effects or consequences on the patient, patient’s family and health care system
- A critical evaluation of TWO nursing strategies involving inter-professional practice that may be used to prevent the chosen adverse event
- A discussion of the potential barriers in achieving the chosen identified strategies in a hospital setting
- A discussion about how the nurse may overcome the potential barriers in a hospital setting to promote patient safety
- A conclusion with a final paragraph summarising the central points of your essay.
- A Reference list formatted to APA6 style.
- Reference to a minimum of 10 journal articles no more than five years old.
- Word limits for all assignments needs to be strictly adhered to. The word limit for an assessment item includes in text citations, tables and quotations. The word limit does not include the reference list. Please note the marker will cease marking your submitted work once they have reached the allocated word limit.
- Ensure that you use scholarly literature (digitised readings, research articles, relevant Government reports and text books) that have been published in in the last 5 years.
- Write in the third person and use academic language
- Refer to the marking criteria when writing your assignment. This will assist you in calculating the weightings of the sections for your assignment.