Assignment: “Captain of the Ship”Project – Obsessive-Compulsive Disorders
Although actual statistics vary, obsessive-compulsive disorder impacts approximately 1.2% of the population in the United States (APA, 2013, p. 239). It is characterized by the presence of obsessive thoughts, which are manifested as persistent thoughts, images, or even “urges.” The only way that the individual can disperse the anxiety of these persistent thoughts/images or urges is to perform a behavior (the compulsion). The compulsion could be checking things, counting, reciting a silent prayer, or repeating a number of phrases. The disorder becomes so pervasive that the person can spend a significant amount of time each day attending to the compulsion in order to relieve the anxiety caused by the obsession.
In this assignment, you will become “captain of the ship” as you take full responsibility for a client with an obsessive-compulsive disorder by recommending psychopharmacologic treatment and psychotherapy, identifying medical management needs and community support, and recommending follow-up plans.
Remember that there is an excellent example for ‘Captain of the Ship’ project attached with this ASSIGNMENT.
To prepare for this Assignment
Select an adult or older adult client with a bipolar disorder that you have seen in your practicum/clinical rotation site.
In 3-4 pages, write a treatment plan for your client. In which you do the following:
· Describe the history of the present illness (HPI) and clinical impression for the client.
· Recommend psychopharmacologic treatments based on evidence-based practice and describe specific and therapeutic end points for your psychopharmacologic agent. (This should relate to HPI and clinical impression.).
· Recommend psychotherapy choices (individual, family, and group) and specific therapeutic endpoints for your choices.
· Identify medical management needs, including primary care needs, specific to this client.
· Identify community support resources (housing, socioeconomic needs, etc.) and community agencies that are available to assist the client.
Recommend a plan for follow-up intensity and frequency and collaboration with other providers.
N: B. (1)The Captain of the Ship project needs to show that you are evaluating the patient, making a diagnosis, providing treatment plans and outcomes as well as collaborating with other providers. The project MUST meet all these requirements. (2) The choice of medications should be clear, and the medical management should be clear. (3) Consider using the bipolar disorder algorithm from http://www.psychiatrictimes.com/bipolar-disorder/new-psychopharmacology-algorithms
Hi there! Click one of our representatives below and we will get back to you as soon as possible.