1. Identify counseling skills needed for behavior change
2. Recognize behavioral, cognitive, and psychoeducational treatment strategies
Course outcome assessed/addressed in this assignment:
NS420-1: Apply professional nutritional counseling skills to a client session
Imagine yourself in the role of a Nutrition Counselor and Josephine in your client. Josephine is a 20-year-old female who is present for an eating disorder not otherwise specified. She currently teaches salsa lessons at the community college and is in her last semester of college. She reports she is living at home and the food her mom prepares is not the healthiest because her mom is from Honduras and her father is from Guatemala, so the food is prepared differently. She indicates she has been thin all her life, but she began struggling with her weight as soon as she went through puberty. Since she is a salsa instructor, she has to remain fit. She reports she feels very guilty if she has consumed fried foods during the day, but since that is the way her mom primarily cooks, she feels awful to tell her mom to stop cooking that way. She reports if she does consume too much fried foods or junk food, she will run at least 2-3 miles that day or else force herself to vomit, but all the food does not come out. She reports sometimes if she has a later class, she will not eat dinner or only eat 1 meal per day. She has tried counting calories, but then she gets so mad at herself for having more than 1200 calories it causes her to exercise more, which then leads her to feeling exhausted. She indicates she is on no medication, but does take a multivitamin when she remembers. She indicates she has gone from 110 pounds to 125 pounds over 5 years and wants to be back down to 110 or even less. She also had gone to the doctor and he was quite concerned with her lab values. She has provided you a 24 hour meal record:
1-6” corn tortilla
½ cup fried beans cooked with peppers, onions and oil
½ cup rice
1 cup no sugar added orange juice
1 slice of whole wheat bread
2 slices turkey
1 small apple
2- 6” tortillas
Beef with onions, peppers cooked in oil
Tomato, onion, pepper salad (made with oil and lime juice)
2 cups of rice
Height: 5’2” Weight: 117 pounds (based on your scale in the office)
Test Result Reference Units
Albumin (visceral protein stores) 3.3 g/dL 3.5-4.8 g/dL
Sodium 133 mEq/L 136-145 mEq/L
Potassium 3.8 mEq/L 3.5-5.2 mEq/L
Iron 0.4 mg/dL 0.6-1.1 mg/dL
Vitamin B12 185 pg/mL 200-835 pg/mL
Questions for Unit 6:
• According to the Stages of Change Model, what stage of change do you believe Josephine is in? Explain how you determined that stage of change? How does this affect her readiness to learn?
• For this situation, how would you establish a rapport with the client?
• Identify and discuss 3 counseling skills you would use to encourage behavior change for the client
• Identify and discuss 2 cognitive-behavioral therapy techniques you would use with this client.
• How do you educate the client on what is considered normal exercising and excessive exercising?
• Requirements This assignment needs to be at least two pages in length and include at least two references.
• This Assignment should be in APA format and follow the conventions of Standard American English (correct grammar, punctuation, etc.). Your writing should be well ordered, logical, and unified, as well as original and insightful. Your work should display superior content, organization, style, and mechanics. Be sure to use APA in-text citations and a reference page to attribute each source.
Hi there! Click one of our representatives below and we will get back to you as soon as possible.