100 word minimum for questions 4-10, diagram for #6 is on page 2 of this document. Any materials used in answering the questions must be put in your own words and the reference(s) must be properly cited.
- Invasive species are exotic to new areas and growth rapidly. Give two reasons why an invasive species is able to take advantage of a new area.
- Concerning population size and population density, explain one way each of the terms differ from each other in relation to their importance in predicting competition in a population; b. importance in predicting resource use in an area; and c. relationship with each other.
- In figure 17.4 of chapter 17 READ section, explain the top and bottom graph which compares the age structure of less developed and higher developed countries, specifying the x and y axis. Give an example of a nation with this type of age structure diagram. What does a high fertility rate tell you about the future of this population?
- Some ecologists argue that “there is no true form of commensalism.” Define commensalism and give an example of it in nature. Do you agree this statement? Defend your argument.
- Explain the difference between a fundamental niche and a realized niche.
- How does competitive exclusion result in: a. character displacement and b. extinction? Describe the pathway that a community takes to lead to each result.
- Define aposematic coloration. Give an example of this in nature.