I want to start with these two videos on privilege as I would have done this activity in class if we were face to face to get people in the space to be open for these topics. Some of you may have already seen at least one of them but I want you to watch both and then share your feelings as much as you are comfortable. Personally, on the first video, I would have only been able to step forward once as all of that information was about childhood. While I had a difficult childhood, by many people’s standards, I was able to go to schools and live in areas where I did not feel in danger and had rigorous academic programs. My childhood motivated me to do well in school, get good grades, and work hard to avoid duplicating that experience as an adult. However, the second video included more current life circumstances and I feel extremely privileged now but probably would have ended up in the middle of the pack because of some childhood questions. I have managed to carve out a career where I love what I do and I am now able to make a living that allows me to live in the Bay area because I bought my first house 17 years ago (I could definitely not afford to buy now). I feel many opportunities came to me because of external circumstances that had nothing to do with my accomplishments or who I actually was as a person.
How did these videos make you feel? Please include this before topics 1 and 2 and feel free to be as open and candid as you feel comfortable.
Topic 1 Global Inequality
Please provide at least 2 statistics from each of the areas listed below that stood out to you/ and or suprised you and please explain each of your answers.
1. Income Inequality
2. Wealth Inequality
3. Global Inequality including U.S. Wealth Concentration Vs. Other Countries
4. Inequality and Health
5. Gender Inequality
6. Racial Economic Inequality
Topic 2: Food Justice
Dr. Mark Hyman Our Food System an Invisible Form of Oppression
How Junk Food is changing Brazil (read the article and watch the video in the middle of the article)
Women and Farming
(please note, you are being asked to compare this information to 3 readings from your reading list)
1. Please give two examples each from the Mark Hyman article and the How Junk Food is Changing Brazil on inequality and health and racial economic inequality (that should be a total of 8 examples 2 on each quality from each of the articles).
2. What are food deserts and food swamps?
3. Using examples from both the first 2 articles, what are some of the tactics big food companies use with these populations? How does this compare with reading #2?
4. Compare and contrast the information in the second article to reading #4.
5. Given your answers to questions 1 through 4, what are the solutions or answers for these issues (this is opinion but please support your answers with facts). Does this information surprise you?
6. Compare and contrast article #11 on your reading list to the 3rd link in this topic. Please give at least 3 examples to support your answer.
Hi there! Click one of our representatives below and we will get back to you as soon as possible.