You must answer a total of 3 questions. Everyone must answer questions 1 & 2. Then select and answer one additional question. Aim to be as thorough as possible in your response. Your answers must be double spaced, 12 pt. font, using good grammar and spell checked! You can expect to write 2-4 pages for each question in order to answer them well. Good luck!
1. Choose one social identity group: race, gender, sexuality or ability. Explain how that group has been socially constructed throughout history and how the social construction has led to marginalization. Specifically address the following questions:
a. Describe the narratives (stories, conversations, policies in place) that have emerged and note the corresponding historical time points (i.e. decade, era) in which they were popular. What social factors and conditions led to the emergence of these narratives?
b. List and describe three explicit ways (i.e. formal processes such as policies and laws) that the social constructions were enacted. How did this result in discrimination or marginalization? Please designate each explicit way by numbering them in your paragraph. No bullet points.
2. Thoroughly explain the concept of race as a floating signifier according to Stuart Hall. Be sure to address how race as a floating signifier is different from the socio-historical perspectives of religion, anthropology and biology we have used to construct it in the past.
Select and answer one of the following questions:
3. Explain the terms: nondominant and dominant groups. In the United States what persons comprise the nondominant group and what persons comprise the dominant group. Use examples from the textbook, or assigned readings to illustrate three implicit examples (attitudes, behaviors, feelings, and thoughts) of one or both groups in social situations. Please number within paragraph each implicit example.
4. Define and compare the medical model of disability and the social model of disability. Use examples (textbook, assigned readings or personal /public) to illustrate your points.
5. Describe the social constructionist view of sexual orientation and the essentialist view of sexual orientation. What implications may supporting either viewpoint have on society?
6. Define economic, cultural, and social capital and explain how these concepts relate to social class. Why does social class matter in the United States (list three reasons and provide an example).
7. Describe the deficit model of aging. What social force was primarily responsible for the evolution of this model and why? List two myths about aging that are supported by this model but have been refuted by gerontology studies.
Get a 15 % discount on an order above $ 100
Use the following coupon code : BEST15