Labs that have been covered or will be covered:
1. Introduction: The Laboratory: Lab Organization, Responsibilities, Lab Safety, Lab WriteUps, The Scientific Method
2. Making Measurements: The International Metric System, Prefixes and Orders of Magnitude, Units: Fundamental and Derived, Accuracy and Precision
3. Acids and Bases: The pH Scale: Salts, Cations and Anions, Acids (H+ ) and Bases (OH— ), Neutralization Reactions, Titrations, The pH
4. Organic Molecules: Organic Functional Groups, Carbohydrates, Proteins, Lipids, Nucleic Acids, Acid/Base Indicators, Analysis of Food Components
5. The Microscope: Microscope Parts and Function, Magnification, Lighting, Making Microscopic Measurements, Identifying Organisms, Describing Specimen
6. Cells and Organelles: Prokaryotes, Eukaryotes, Cell Walls, Cell Membrane, Nucleus, Chromosome, Mitochondria, Chloroplasts, Ribosomes
7. Diffusion and Osmosis: Diffusion, Chemical Potential, Semi-Permeable Membranes, Facilitated Diffusion, Osmosis, Tonicity, Hyper- and Hypotonic Conditions.
8. Enzymes: Activation Energy, Protein Folding and pH, Temperature, Salt Concentration; Substrate Concentration and Saturation; Reaction Rates
9. Respiration: Glycolysis, Krebs Citric Acid Cycle, Oxidative Phosphorylation
10.Photosynthesis: Photosystems, Light Quality and Pigments
11. Cell Division, Mitosis: The Cell Cycle, Chromosomes and Cell Division, Chromosome Segregation and Independent Assortment, Binary Fission in Bacteria
12. Cell Division, Meiosis: Meiosis, Reductive and Equatorial Division, Random segregation of Chromosomes in Tetrads, Independent Assortment, Haploid Cells
13. Principles of Inheritance: Allele Frequency in a Population, Identifying Characteristics, Punnett Squares, Genetic Linkage, Mendel’s Laws
14. DNA Isolation: Chemical Nature of DNA, Colloid Stability, Spooling Nucleic Acids, Preserving DNA. Review for Final
These topics form a foundation in science and research.They also are a window into understanding the world around you and how it works.Your assignment is to find four (4) articles based in a current research topic.They should have been published in the last year; believe me there are plenty of them out there.The article should be based in one (or more) of the topics above.Read the article (that tends to make the process a lot easier).
To complete the assignment, you will turn in:
Hi there! Click one of our representatives below and we will get back to you as soon as possible.